了解你自己 ------- Henry goes to Taiwan, China, and Germany ------- Erkenne Dich Selbst

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Part 1: Hong Kong - Beijing

Before I talk about the train ride, one last important moment for me in Hong Kong was visiting their excellent and brand new history museum. I spent the day learning about Hong Kong's fascinating history: it's growth from a cluster of 5,ooo fishermen and their families to the stunning modern metropolis it is now after the British took over management of the territory following the Second Opium War (1860). Strong management by British governors, constantly growing international trade with China (including the trade of Opium), Hong Kong's deep harbor, and its existence as a relatively orderly toehold on the chaotic Chinese mainland all contributed to the cities spectacular growth. It was interesting to read about how the museum portrayed the British, the Japanese invaders in WWII, and the Chinese behomath that now governs the island.

The 24 hour train ride from Hong to Beijing was a beautiful, very individual experience. No one else stayed in my sleeper cabin, so for the most part I had 24 hours to myself. This time for myself is in contrast with my time in Taiwan, which was very hectic.

I did speak with a few passengers. Sometimes I would talk with a really nice Hong Kong family (originally from India) who had been living in Australia for a few years. The dad wasn't there, he was already in Beijing on business, but the mom and their three sons were really friendly. The oldest son was learning Chinese in high school (they were all in high school). The three boys played around a lot on the train. It was interesting to see how a Hong Kong/Australian/Indian family acted. They reminded me of an American family. I don't know this for sure, but another interesting sidenote is that there are a number of Indians living in Hong Kong, at least some of them descended from Indians the British brought over in the late 1800s as police and firefighters (there was considerable interaction between the Indian and Hong Kong colonies the British governed, including the Opium sold in China, traded at Hong Kong, and grown in India, and Indians were considered very reliable, making good policeman). Anyway, it is very possible that this family is descended from some of the Indians who moved to Hong Kong in these times.

I also spoke with two young Canadian school teachers from Novia Scotia who were both very friendly. One of them had been teaching English in Japan, and the other Canadian history (in Nova Scotia). They were taking the summer to ride across China. After Beijing, they were taking the Siberian express all the way to Moscow. I was pretty jealous -- what a beautiful trip.

Finally I arrived in Beijing in the afternoon of the next day. A new adventure was beginning, this time not an individual experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home